Sunday, February 22, 2015

PAUL'S OSCAR PICKS

by Paul Gibbs

For the second year in a row we have a close Oscar race that's difficult to call. Last year, for me there was a very clear choice, and happily the academy actually picked it as Best Picture. This year is harder for me to make my choices on who should win, because circumstances kept me from seeing some of the nominees, and because my personal favorite, The Grand Budapest Hotel, doesn't stand a chance of winning. But I'm still offering my picks for who will win, and who I would choose.

BEST PICTURE: 

Winner: Birdman
My Vote: The Grand Budapest Hotel (but I'll be happy with either Birdman or Boyhood).

BEST DIRECTOR:
Winner: Richard Linklater, Boyhood
My Vote: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Birdman 
 its
BEST ACTOR:
Winner: Michael Keaton, Birdman

My Vote: Michael Keaton, Birdman
This one is the toughest choice for me, because potential spoiler Eddie Redmayne was superb in The Theory of Everything. But in the end I was even more impressed by Keaton's raw, honest emotion than by Redmayne's physical transformation.

BEST ACTRESS:
Winner: Julianne Moore, Still Alice

My Vote:  Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
I missed Still Alice, so I'd pick Jones, who to me gave The Theory of Everthing its heart.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Winner: JK Simmons, Whiplash
My Vote: Edward Norton, Birdman
Again this is based in part on having missed the front-runner.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Winner: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
My Vote: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood

Best Original Screenplay
Winner: Birdman
My Vote:  The Grand Budapest Hotel

Best Screenplay Adaption:
Winner:  The Imitation Game
My Vote: The Theory of Everything
(Another case of missing the likely winner)

Best Cinematography:
Winner: Birdman
My Vote: Unbroken

Best Film Editing:
Winner: American Sniper
My Vote: American Sniper

Best Animated Feature:
Winner: Big Hero 6 
My Vote: I really can't choose between Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon 2

 

 

 

 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment